Story Time at Home
Watch your favorite librarians at home on our Youtube Channel!
Tumblebooks for Kids is a digital library designed specifically for children! The interactive and animated picture books build vocabulary and encourage early literacy through sound, music, and narration.
LOTE Online for Kids allows children to enjoy the magic of books in world languages from home. Each book is provided with an English translation to help develop multilingual reading and listening skills.
5 Simple Practices that Promote Early Literacy
Here are some ways that you can promote literacy at home!
- Talk to your children even if they aren’t talking yet.
- Talk with your child as you go through daily routines. Explain things and ask questions.
- Talk with your children in the language you know best.
- Singing slows down language so children can hear sounds and syllables. This will help them sound out words when they begin to read.
- Don’t worry if you are not a good singer. Your children will love singing with you!
- Sing with your child in the language you know best.
- Read with your child every day!
- Read with your child in the language you know best.
- As you read together, point to letters and words on the page.
- Have crayons, markers, and paper in your home.
- Scribbling leads to writing. Give your child plenty of time to scribble and draw.
- Let your child see you write in the language you know best.
- Play = Learning!
- Children learn and use language by playing with one another.
- Give your child time for free play during the day.
Early Literacy Newsletter
Receive our Early Literacy Newsletter to stay up to date on news from the children's department! Sign up here.