- The Greece Public Library is located in the town of Greece, NY which has a population of 96,000.
- Greece is the largest suburb of Rochester, NY and is located in Monroe County, which is home to 750,000 residents who share library services as members of the Monroe County Library System.
Greece Reads has become an eagerly anticipated event in our community each year. Our residents and readers look forward to finding out who our featured author will be, and are encouraged to read the chosen title. Demand for the title increases at a steady rate as our readers begin to read and discuss it with friends and librarians in preparation for the event. Our authors and readers alike have shared similar experiences: our readers have discovered favorite new authors, and our authors have discovered supportive new readers, for an all-around beneficial experience. Author and event exposure and marketing take place for many months in advance, and in many mediums.
We enjoy creating buzz and excitement around our Greece Reads event each year, and our residents are always eager to read the selection and meet the author. We use a variety of platforms and techniques to market the event.
- Each year, we send a newsletter to announce the author and book selection to approximately 9,000 subscribers.
- The author is revealed on Facebook via a pre-recorded video from the author, after a lead-up of postings. Our Facebook currently has 3,000+ followers.
- Social media postings on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter take place over the course of several months.
- Each author is placed on our Greece Reads webpage permanently under our “Greece Reads Alumni” section.
- Professionally printed 24 x 36 foam matted posters are strategically placed in the library, both in the foyer and in the entrance to the Reader’s Corner.
- Professionally printed promotional bookmarks are distributed throughout the library.
- Books are permanently labeled with a specially designed “Greece Reads” label to designate them from the rest of the collection.
- After the event, copies of the Greece Reads book are transformed into book club kits that are put into circulation and made available for check out to any Monroe County Library System cardholder.
- We do several book giveaways leading up to the event, both online and in person.
- We hold a “Big Book Discussion” event prior to the author visit, to discuss the book with fellow readers, and to collect author questions.
- Librarian led in-house book clubs read and discuss the book in the months leading up to the event.
We purchase multiple copies of Greece Reads authors' books for our library collection in print, audio, and digital formats to meet demand generated by our annual event. We also have the ability to sell books through partnerships with our local Barnes & Noble bookseller and the Friends of the Greece Public Library.
Prior to launching Greece Reads in 2020, we partnered with Rochester, NY-based Writers & Books to host Rochester Reads authors at the Greece Public Library.