Getting Started with Ancestry Library Edition
Ancestry Library Edition is a database of genealogical resources for finding vital records, census records, immigration records (birth/death registrations), land and tax records, wills, selected military records, voting lists, etc.. The resource is especially for U.S. and Canadian records, and also includes some European, Australian and New Zealand records.
*Access to Ancestry Library Edition is restricted to library computers only*
How To Use Ancestry Library Edition
You can perform a general search on Ancestry when you do not specify any one particular record set to search on. Let’s use a general search to find information about the Canadian author Lucy Maud Montgomery.
- Click on the green button Begin Searching.
- In the search boxes for First & Middle Name(s) and Last Name, type in “Lucy Maud” “Montgomery”
- In the search box for Place your ancestor might have lived, type in “Prince Edward Island”
- In the search box for Birth Year, type in “1874”
- Click on the Search button.
Our search gave us over 150,000 results. Not all of them pertain to the person we are looking for. There are several census records for Lucy Maud Montgomery on the first results page.
- Hover your mouse over the blue link to each record, you can see an abstract of the information the record contains.
- To see a record, click on the blue link. Click View and a digital copy of an original document will open.
- You can use the slider on the right-hand side of the document to control the image size
- Show Filmstrip icon will show all the filmstrips for this record
- Show Index lists other people in this record
- Left arrow gives the details, related records, and Source information
- Tool icon allows you to print, download or set the orientation of the image to print
- Click the Tool icon and click Print to select Print entire image or Print zoomed view. You can select Also print index and source data.
- Click the Save button at the top right to Send image home – where you provide your email and access the image when you are at home OR Save to this computer – where you can Save as to a usb.
To start a new search, click on the Ancestry library logo and then Begin Searching.